Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Would taking time off from school and traveling to Italy be an insane idea now adays


Would taking time off from school and traveling to Italy be an insane idea now adays?
I'm just curious because I'm 20 years old and I've never traveled outside of the country. I'm in my third year of college right now and I feel like I need a break. I'm getting burned out from my classes and there's been a lot of construction concentrated in my area. I know construction is a part of driving and a part of life but it's been going on for like the year and a half. I've thought about taking some time off school and going alone to Italy. I've brought this up with my mom and she said "You can't just take your money and go to Europe now adays, it's not safe." I realize that traveling isn't always safe, especially after seeing the movie Taken with Liam Neeson. But it's like, I'm getting so burned out, tired of school, and tired of the world around me. I've been researching Italy's culture lately because of an assignment we have to do for our language and culture class. I think reading about their culture has me more interested in Italy too. Plus I've been single for most of my life. It's like a dream of mine to go to Europe and hook up with some beautiful European woman. *has made me more interested in their culture *
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I like the idea a lot. I am also in my third year of college and taking a break would so AWESOME!!! But honestly, my advice is dont go YET. Finish school, then grab that patch of Doe and go to Italy. Backpack around Europe for all you care, just finish school first. Nothing would be worst to return to school after 10 years. I think your idea is awesome but finish school, then go tour Italy. I mean, it doesnt hurt to a BA under your belt while abroad you know. Good luck!
2 :
Not at all! If there's ever a time to be impulsive its when you're in college, young and unfettered by worries. If you have the money to do it then by all means, do it. If cost is a concern of yours you could try to offset this by teaching English or tutoring while you're there. However, I feel that taking a year off of school may not be in your best interest. If you want to go to Italy the best way to do it would be through a study abroad program. Usually the course load is lighter, and financial aid is available (usually in the form of Perkins loans).