Thursday, September 16, 2010

I really want to go to boarding school


I really want to go to boarding school?
My mom went to an international school in Italy (she had an amazing time) and has made it clear she doesn't want to send me to a boarding school because she'd "miss me too much". I'm embarrassed to ask my dad because he will probably just laugh and he's going to jail for fraud and embezzlement in less than a month so his opinion won't matter much anyway. We have the money to send me away, my current private school is $25,000. Anyway, I'm technically paying for everything via my trust fund (my mom controls it until I'm 25 years old). How do I convince my parents that boarding school would be good for me? -I get pretty good grades (A student) -I have a good amount of friends at my current school (23 best friends out of the 50) -BUT I want to try something new I'm Thinking: Emma Willard in New York? I'm thinking more of Lawrence Academy. My parents know a lot of people who went there and I REALLY want to go there! Anyway, I have to write a paper for everything I want so that won't convince them
Adolescent - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
ask your dad anyway, and have a talk with your mom and your dad about it. it doesnt hurt to ask.
2 :
Tell your mom that its a great opportunity for you to prepare for college. If you plan on living in a dorm, you'll be totally used to it by the time you get to college.
3 :
It's hard to say because I've never done this successfully. I brought up the topic last year to my parents, and they thought a parent would be out of their minds to send their child away, and they had no intentions of letting me go before I graduated high school. You are already a hard worker, and have good social skills. What I find effective in most situations is to write a paper or a presentation (like a poster or powerpoint) to show your parents why you deserve what you want, what you will do to get what you want, and how you will behave once you have what you want. First, make a list of all these things. Include what benefits you'd get from going to that school. Unless they do admissions later than most, or you have advantages from being a legacy at the school, your time is running out to apply/enroll, but I'm sure you already know that given you go to a private school now. I know that each of the schools I'm applying to must have all of my information by January 15. I spent two weeks at a boarding school this summer, and it was amazing. I met these amazing girls from Korea and France, and many other places. (I went to Emma Willard, you've probably heard of it - I heard it's well known on the East Coast.) Also, your mom might not be telling you everything about her experience. Boarding school could be a lot of fun, but some of the people there could be trouble. You'll be meeting those kind of people that get into alcohol, sex, and drugs, and your parents won't be able to keep you from them. They'll have no idea what you are doing, or who you are doing it with, and that will scare them. Your mom probably wants what she thinks is best for you. I think you should make an organized proposal, but don't be surprised or upset if your parents say no. Good luck!
4 :
after watching zoey 101 it made me wanna go to a boarding school lol persuade them its a good way to get used to having room mates when you get to collage!



Read more discussion :