Friday, October 8, 2010

Do I have a chance getting in an Ivy league school


Do I have a chance getting in an Ivy league school?
Hi, I'm currently a freshman in high school (in Italy), play soccer, and play the piano. Last year, I decided to leave my home and family, to study in an Italian high school. I left, barely knowing Italian, and was housed with some distant relatives. With hard work and diligence, I learned Italian and finished the school year with high grades (sometimes the best in my class). Now, I'm coming home to be re-enrolled into high school in the states. The high school accepted my grades and I will be attending it in August. Do you guys think this experience will be a plus for getting into college? I also play competitive soccer and am pretty good at it. I am on a traveling team playing every weekend in places sometimes as far as 6 hours away. I play the piano at an advanced level, have won many competitions, and received an honorable mention for playing in the Alabama State Conference. Last year in middle school (8th grade) I scored a 2800 on my ACT. My dream is to go to Stanford or MIT but do I have the potential? If not, what do I need to participate in, or achieve?
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well, first off, neither MIT nor Stanford are Ivy League schools. The Ivy Leagues schools are an athletic conference that includes eight top schools on the east coast, but not the two you listed (one of which is on the west coast). Also, a 2800 on the ACT doesn't make much sense, since the highest score is 36. Maybe you meant SAT, but the top score there is 2400, so that still doesn't make sense. As far as the Italy thing, it makes you interesting, but it will not be a big selling point for you. I would guess that it will have no impact on your admissions. Soccer and music will help your application, but you will not get into top schools just because you are good at those two things. Really, everything you have said so far doesn't make much impact on your application or chances of getting in. So I have no idea if you will have the potential to get into MIT or Stanford. What you need to do is get great grades in the most difficult classes and do well on the SAT/ACT. If you can do that, then your chances will increase. But you would still need to put together a good application and have strong extracurricular activities. Perhaps piano and soccer will be sufficient for your EC's, but I guess it really matters how good you are and how devoted you are. (Driving 6 hours to play in a tournament, by itself, is not that impressive.) So, yeah, good grades in difficult classes. Do that, and you will start to improve your chances.



Read more discussion :